Event Dates: First Wednesday of February and March (Please note the April event has been canceled)
Event Time: 9am-3pm
Event Location: A.P. Beutel Health Center (Basement, Room 027)
Tests Available: HIV/Syphilis (blood draw), Chlamydia/Gonorrhea (urine test, throat swab, anal/rectal swab)
Students have the option to receive any of the tests available.
Items to Bring
Personal Identification (only one needed):
- TAMU Student ID (preferred)
- Government-Issued ID (Driver’s License; Passport)
Event Forms: SHS recommends that you fill out the appropriate paperwork prior to utilizing the event in order to minimize your wait time. The forms will also be available at the event if you are unable to fill them out in advance.
- *Patient Questionnaire (required for all participants)
- If you choose to receive swab testing for Chlamydia/Gonorrhea, please check the appropriate boxes within the Patient Questionnaire.
- Patient Consent Form (fill out all sections)
- HIV/Syphilis Testing Form (fill out all highlighted sections)
- Chlamydia/Gonorrhea Testing Form (Urine Test; fill out all highlighted sections)
What to Expect Day-Of
Please note: If you are experiencing common STI symptoms (such as: burning during urination, abnormal discharge, sores around genital areas), please schedule an appointment with a clinician. Make an appointment online at shs.tamu.edu/appointments or call the SHS Appointment line at (979) 458-8250.
Arrival: When you arrive at SHS, look for the STI Testing signage to lead you down to the testing room. Signage will be near each first floor entrance, as well as when you arrive on the basement level. Check-in for the event will be hosted in the basement, room 027 (southeast side of the A.P. Beutel Health Center).
Check-In: You will first be asked to show a form of personal identification.
- Forms: If you have not filled out the event forms prior to arriving at the event, you will be provided copies of the appropriate testing forms when you arrive. Once the forms are completed, please give them to the SHS staff member(s) towards the front of the waiting room for their review.
- Test Questions: If you have questions regarding any of the tests available, there will be a Registered Nurse available to answer your questions.
- Waiting Room: Depending on the number of students utilizing the testing event when you arrive and the amount of tests that you are requesting, the wait time can be between 5 minutes – 45 minutes. Please note that you will be sitting with other students who are also choosing to utilize the event.
- HIV/Syphilis Testing: This is a blood test; students are encouraged to have a snack/drink prior to arriving; this testing will take place in the room adjacent to the waiting area.
- Chlamydia/Gonorrhea Urine Testing: Students are encouraged to not urinate for at least one hour prior to collection; supplies will be provided for participants. Due to the nature of this testing, students will not need to use a towelette for collection.
- Chlamydia/Gonorrhea Swab Testing: Testing will take place in Pod B (on the first floor); testing includes a rectal/anal swab and/or throat swab; staff are available to assist, if needed.
Post-Testing: Once you have completed your requested tests, you are welcome to exit the building. You do not have to check-out after utilizing the event.
Volunteers: This event can only be possible with the help of student volunteers. While SHS staff are present to assist with this event, a large number of individuals assisting with operations are student volunteers. Every volunteer signs a confidentiality statement prior to assisting with this event. If at any time you feel uncomfortable with the volunteers helping at this event, please notify the SHS staff member(s) sitting at the front table in the Waiting Room.
There is no charge for any of the below tests available during this event:
- HIV/Syphilis (blood test)
- Chlamydia/Gonorrhea (urine test, throat swab, anal/rectal swab)
Testing Results: Specimen testing may take 14-28 days. Your results will be available on the SHS Patient Portal two weeks after the event. The Patient Portal can be accessed by clicking on the following link: shs.tamu.edu/appointments.
- General Event Questions: Please contact Jo Ann Culpepper, Medical Laboratory Administrator at (979) 458-8333.
- Health Questions: Please make an appointment with an SHS medical provider by calling (979) 458-8250 or by visiting shs.tamu.edu/appointments. For non-emergent health concerns, contact Dial-A-Nurse at (979) 458-8379.