Event Dates: November 4; November 18
Event Time: 8:15am-4pm
Event Location: A.P. Beutel Health Center (Basement Conference Room)
Tests Available: HIV/Syphilis (blood draw), Chlamydia/Gonorrhea (urine test, throat swab, anal/rectal swab)
Students have the option to receive any of the tests available.
Event Sign-Up: Students must schedule an appointment to utilize the STI Testing event. Appointments can be scheduled here: shs.tamu.edu/appointments. Choose “STI Testing Event” for the type of visit. Sign-ups will open approximately 7-10 days before the STI Testing event date.
Items to Bring
Personal Identification (only one needed):
- TAMU Student ID (preferred)
- Government-Issued ID (Driver’s License; Passport)
Event Forms: SHS recommends that you fill out the appropriate paperwork prior to utilizing the event in order to minimize your wait time. The forms will also be available at the event if you are unable to fill them out in advance.
- Patient Questionnaire (REQUIRED for all participants)
- If you choose to receive swab testing for Chlamydia/Gonorrhea, please check the appropriate boxes within the Patient Questionnaire.
- Patient Consent Form (REQUIRED for all participants)
- HIV/Syphilis Testing Form (Blood Draw; fill out all highlighted sections)
- Chlamydia/Gonorrhea Testing Form (Urine Test; fill out all highlighted sections)
What to Expect Day-Of
Please note: If you are experiencing common STI symptoms (such as: burning during urination, abnormal discharge, sores around genital areas), please schedule an appointment with a clinician. Make an appointment online at shs.tamu.edu/appointments or call the SHS Appointment line at (979) 458-8250.
Arrival: When you arrive at SHS, enter the health center through the northeast entrance which can be accessed via Military Walk. Look for the STI Testing signage to lead you down to the check-in area. Signage will be near each first floor entrance, as well as when you arrive on the basement level. Check-in for the event will be hosted near the Laboratory.
Check-In: You will first be asked to show a form of personal identification.
- Forms: If you have not filled out the event forms prior to arriving at the event, you will be provided copies of the appropriate testing forms when you arrive. Once the forms are completed, please give them to the SHS staff member(s) assisting with check-in.
- HIV/Syphilis Testing: This is a blood test; students are encouraged to have a snack/drink prior to arriving; this testing will take place in the basement conference room.
- Chlamydia/Gonorrhea Urine Testing: Students are encouraged to not urinate for at least one hour prior to collection; supplies will be provided for participants. Due to the nature of this testing, students will not need to use a towelette for collection.
- Chlamydia/Gonorrhea Swab Testing: Testing will take place in Pod B (on the first floor); testing includes a rectal/anal swab and/or throat swab; staff are available to assist, if needed.
Post-Testing: Once you have completed your requested tests, you are welcome to exit the building. You do not have to check-out after utilizing the event.
There is no charge for any of the below tests available during this event:
- HIV/Syphilis (blood test)
- Chlamydia/Gonorrhea (urine test, throat swab, anal/rectal swab)
Testing Results: Specimen testing may take 14-28 days. Your results will be available on the SHS Patient Portal two weeks after the event. The Patient Portal can be accessed by clicking on the following link: shs.tamu.edu/appointments.
- General Event Questions: Please contact Jo Ann Culpepper, Medical Laboratory Administrator at (979) 458-8333.
- Health Questions: Please make an appointment with an SHS medical provider by calling (979) 458-8250 or by visiting shs.tamu.edu/appointments. For non-emergent health concerns, contact Dial-A-Nurse at (979) 458-8379.