Event Date: Wednesday, November 3
Event Time: 9am-4pm
Event Location: A.P. Beutel Health Center (Basement Conference Room)
Tests Available: HIV/Syphilis (blood draw), Chlamydia/Gonorrhea (urine test, throat swab, anal/rectal swab)
Students have the option to receive any of the tests available.
- Appointments are required to participate in this event. Schedule your appointment online at shs.tamu.edu/appointments. Choose “STI Testing Event” for the type of visit.
Items to Bring
Personal Identification (only one needed):
- TAMU Student ID (preferred)
- Government-Issued ID (Driver’s License; Passport)
Health insurance information
Event Forms: SHS recommends that you fill out the appropriate paperwork prior to utilizing the event in order to minimize your wait time. The forms will also be available at the event if you are unable to fill them out in advance. Forms can be found here: November STI Testing Consent Forms
What to Expect Day-Of
Please note: If you are experiencing common STI symptoms (such as: burning during urination, abnormal discharge, sores around genital areas), please schedule an appointment with a clinician. Make an appointment online at shs.tamu.edu/appointments or call the SHS Appointment line at (979) 458-8310.
Arrival: When you arrive at SHS, enter the health center through the main entrance. Look for the STI Testing signage to lead you down to the basement level. Signage will be near the main entrance, as well as when you arrive on the basement level. Check-in for the event will be hosted in the basement conference room.
Check-In: You will first be asked to show a form of personal identification.
- Forms: If you have not filled out the event forms prior to arriving at the event, you will be provided copies of the appropriate testing forms when you arrive. Once the forms are completed, please give them to the SHS staff member(s) assisting with check-in.
- HIV/Syphilis Testing: This is a blood test; students are encouraged to have a snack/drink prior to arriving; this testing will take place in the basement conference room.
- Chlamydia/Gonorrhea Urine Testing: Students are encouraged to not urinate for at least one hour prior to collection; supplies will be provided for participants. Due to the nature of this testing, students will not need to use a towelette for collection.
- Chlamydia/Gonorrhea Swab Testing: Testing includes a rectal/anal swab and/or throat swab.
Post-Testing: Once you have completed your requested tests, you are welcome to exit the building. You do not have to check-out after utilizing the event.
There is no charge to students for any of the below tests available during this event:
- HIV/Syphilis (blood test)
- Chlamydia/Gonorrhea (urine test, throat swab, anal/rectal swab)
Students are encouraged to bring any health insurance information to the event. Health insurance is not required to participate in this event. SHS will cover any remaining balances not paid by insurance, for uninsured patients, or for patients who choose to not file their visit to insurance.
Testing Results: Specimen testing may take 14-28 days. Your results will be available on the SHS Patient Portal two weeks after the event. The Patient Portal can be accessed by clicking on the following link: shs.tamu.edu/appointments.
- General Event Questions: Please contact Jo Ann Culpepper, Medical Laboratory Administrator at (979) 458-8333.
- Health Questions: Please make an appointment with an SHS medical provider by visiting shs.tamu.edu/appointments or by calling (979) 458-8310.